The Pump Shed
The original pump shed with 10hp Blackstone oil engine, pumpjack and winch gear from Mindarie Railway Station was relocated to Pioneer Park after the Mindarie Station was closed in 1974. It had been used since 1917.
The motor drove the bore pump through a flat belt which supplied water for the steam trains. The water was pumped through the overhead tank and delivered to the locomotive via the water column.
Water at Mindarie was of better quality than that at Karoonda. Engine drivers would fill their tanks at Tailem Bend with River Murray water before leaving. If necessary, they took on water at Karoonda but usually took the minimum amount there so that they could fill with Mindarie water. The next watering point along the line was at Alawoona. River Murray water was available at Mantung and bore water at Copeville for trains travelling on the Waikerie line.